Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Jamison No 7 Mines

Jamison No 7 Mines
October 19, 1916
Barrickville, WV
Mine Rescuer Dies Trying to Save Others
L.M. Jones, Head of Pittsburgh Life-Savers at Jamison Mine, Killed by Gas
Fairmont, WV, Oct 20-
Two bodies have been recovered from the burning Jamison No. 7 mine, wrecked by an explosion yesterday afternoon. The bodies are those of L.M. Jones, 38 years old, who lost his life in attempting to rescue the entombed miners, and A. W. Vance, a repairman. They were brought to the surface by rescuing parties this afternoon.
L.M. Jones was a mining engineer and was in charge of the rescue party sent from Pittsburgh to the Jamison No. 7 mine which was wrecked by an explosion yesterday afternoon. He gave up his life in the performance of his duty early this morning. Five other experts from the bureau of mines were overcome along with Jones, but were rescued and revived.
Those who were overcome in the bureau of mines party in addition to Mr. Jones are: J.W. Koster, junior mining engineer. R.H. Selp, first-aid miner G.S. McCan, first-aid miner. J.V. Berry, first-aid miner. A.J. Strane, assistant explosive engineer.
Mr. Jones, who was in charge of the party, was 33 years old, and resided with his wife and two children at 6333 Douglas Street, Pittsburgh. He formerly resided in Cleveland, and was a graduate at the Ohio State University and Columbia University as a mining engineer.
Mr. Jones had been connected with the bureau of mines for seven years as a mining engineer. He is the fourth man. but the first engineer, lost by the bureau of mines while engaged in rescue work.
It is said that Jones penetrated the mine into one of the most gaseous sections and was overcome when his supply of oxygen became exhausted. He was far in advance of the other members of the party. They waited and their oxygen supply run low.
Second Party Sent In
When the bureau of mines men did not return, another rescue party was sent into the mines. They found the Jones party overcome. A search was made for Jones, but it was some time before he was found. It required three relays of men to bring his body out, the rescuers encountering more gas than they ever experienced before.
L.W. Cooper, assistant chief engineer of the Jamison Coal Company, was also overcome.
The complete list of those entombed in the mine follows: M.W. Allison, 29 years old, married. A. Wilson Vance, 28 years old, married S.L. Vincent, 58 years old, married James Menear, 24 years old, married. F. Higinbotham, 24 years old, married. Harry Drennen, 36 years old, married M.L. Chapman, 30 years old, married Isaiah Leasure, 25 years old, married J. Fagan, 45 years old, unmarried. John Foster, 28 years old, a Negro
Owing to the dangerous condition of the mine, state and mine officials at noon today ordered a halt in the attempts to penetrate the workings of the mines. The task is too hazardous, the officials said and for that reason attempts to reach the entombed miners will not be made until tommorrow morning.
Leaves Fine Record
Washington, Oct 20-Lewis M Jones, mining engineer and rescuer of the bureau of mines, killed, while engaged in rescue work at the Barracksville mines, was regarded as one of the bureau's ablest men in directing rescue work.
"Mr. Jones had been an important factor in the development of rescue work," said Director Manning. "He died a martyr to the cause, like three other rescuers of the bureau have died. Under the chief mining engineer of the bureau, Mr. Jones had charge of the experimental mine of the bureau at Bruceton, PA, an din this capacity developed many safeguards that are not only saving life in the coal mines today, but will be instrumental in saving thousands of lives in the future. The fact that the death rate among the miners last year was the lowest in the last 16 years emphasizes the worth of Mr. Jones' efforts."
When word was received this morning that Mr. Jones had been killed, Superintendent Talbot detailed W. F. Pyne, a junior mining engineer, Jesse Hanson, a forman miner, and William Freeman, to go to Fairmont to assist in the work. They left immediately for the wrecked mine. The body of Mr. Jones will be brought to Pittsburgh late tonight or tommorrow morning.